Friday, 23 March 2012

CCR Fortunate Son Music Video Evaluation

CCR Fortunate Son Music Video Evaluation


By: Joshua Buyukyilmaz


           


  1. The idea that occurred to me to do Fortunate Son Music Video was because I wanted the music video to give the theme of the 1960s and early 70s as the song had to do a lot with the period and many themes associated with it e.g. the Vietnam War. The genre of my music video is an action/historical/rock genre.





My audience was a diverse British inner city sample from my inner city college. 


I selected the song for emotional resonance even though the title is quite unknown to most British audiences. I expected my audience to recognise the both the song and my treatment of the genre e.g. archive footage of the period. Consequently, I used archive footage of a particular period which is of strong interest to me and to what I thought suited the song. I felt that the song had the potential to fit well with the documentary/archive footage.





In developing my idea for a music video, I came across a comment by a former Vietnam veteran solder who credited the song as having saved his life from the Vietcong army.  This made a very profound impact on me. Therefore I was encouraged to do the music video even more using this time period around this particular song.  As a result, I chose action packed archive footage of this time period.  This was to reinforce the history and my own emotional resonance to the time period.




Feedback:


Although the use of archive footage from contemporary wars was suggested, I felt that I had to emphasise and showcase and reinforce American industrial military


power. Therefore I utilised U-2 jet fights deploying a carpet of bombs on the command of a solider in Vietnam.





  1. Pre-production


The paperwork in pre-production was provide through templates and I went through them and filled each one out for example a call sheet which tells you who’s directing the video and who’s in it what there phone numbers are and where to meet them along with a map along with travel directions. I also found The Lyrics to the song on the internet this helped me as I was more able to focus on the music video then worry about creating lots of paper work. After paperwork was completely,



Production-filming


I began filming with a digital Olympic camera.  I also found this process to be quick as I decided to play the song twice and then chose which one is the best take. I also decided to use editing software off the internet as I wanted to be ahead of the game.





Post production- editing


After filming I decided to use editing software off the internet as I wanted to be ahead of the game. So I downloaded Video pad video editor. Then in post Lip synchronising with camera and sound were adjusted stuff was put on the computer, I had to retrieve the song and then sync the two together

  1. What went well?


During the entire process I felt that that the only thing that went well during all the 3 stages of production I feel that the stage that went well was the production process. This because there was no paper work involved and I got to do everything in my own way and in my own time.





What went badly?


As much as I enjoy the filming I did not enjoy the pre-production paper work as I thought that my production did not necessarily need off of the pre-production paperwork needed to film my music video.





  1. What the audience thought?



My audience reaction sheet was quite short and sweet because I wanted the audience to complete it I used closed questions. This is also the result of getting a lot of information in a short period of time and 

 




  1.  


4/12 thought that the music video was good and 8/12 thought that the music video was awesome I’m not sure if the group really thought it was good or awesome but I certainly feel that they learnt something from it as it was based on a important part of American 20th centaury



Do you think that there was a good mixture between archive footage and the video footage? :





Yes/no 5/12 thought that the music video wasn’t a good mixture as 6 out of 12 thought that the music video was a perfect mixture of archive footage and live action filmed footage.



Do you think the video could be having improved in anyway? :





Yes/no





3/12 thought that the video did not need much improvement as 8/12 thought that the video did not need improvement



Do you think that the video was very patriotic? :




Yes/no





12/12 the whole classes opinion thought that the music video was very patriotic and one person said that it was very Americana.






  1. What I have learned


I think that the video could have been improved with better editing with the live action even thought I think that there was a even amount of archive and live action footage in the music video and I also feel that my video has a strong message at the end of it. However but I also think that because of the audience reaction sheet the feedback there isn’t a lot I can say about what I have learnt about my music video experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment